The Detox Diet - Learn all about different detox diets
Considering the touted benefits, it’s easy to see why a detox diet may appeal to some. Find out whether a detox diet is right for you and if it is, how to get started.
1) Is a Detox Diet Right For You?
Keep in mind that detox diets are not intended to cure disease. Instead, they are designed to clear obstacles to health and allow all body systems to run more efficiently.
If you're considering a detox diet, it's important to consult with your doctor prior to starting. People with certain health conditions (such as anemia, diabetes, and kidney disease) should either avoid this diet or perform detox only under the supervision of a health care provider. The detox diet is also unsafe for pregnant or nursing women.
- The Master Cleanse - Also called the lemonade diet, a fast that involves drinking only lemonade, grade B maple syrup, and cayenne pepper.
- Juice fasting - A type of fast that calls for consuming only fresh vegetable and fruit juices, such as beet juice and wheatgrass juice, and water. Juice fasts include the Blueprint Cleanse.
- Smoothie and shake fasting - Involves drinking pureed or blended vegetable and fruit smoothies, especially green smoothies.
- Commercial cleanse programs - Specially designed protein powders, vitamins, nutrients for detoxification. Examples include the Acai cleanse, Colon Clenz, BIO15 Clense & Deep Detox
- Raw food detox diet - Based on the raw food diet. Involves only eating food that is raw or hasn't been heated above 118 degrees.
- Ayurvedic detox diet - An Ayurvedic cleansing and rejuvenation plan called pancha karma.
3) Action Plan - Getting Started on a Detox Diet
This detox diet can be followed for 3 days, 5 days, 7 days, or longer. It is not as restrictive as a Juice fast or the Deep Detox, and people are usually able to follow it while continuing with their everyday lives. Fasting, on the other hand, often has the best results when a person is able to go on a retreat or take a break from their daily routine, because they can result in nausea, headaches, weakness, and other side effects of the intense detoxification process.
· Dry skin brushing can help remove dead skin and promote the elimination of toxins through skin.